How To Save Money When Traveling Solo

rawpixel-com-191102

Information provided from a press release by Schofields Ltd. This post contains sponsored links.

I recently got into solo traveling. As a single person, the prospect of traveling by myself is exciting, but at the same time, costs can increase quite substantially, because you don't have anyone to share them with. Sad times.

However, there are a few ways you can reduce the extra costs associated with solo travel. Hopefully, these suggestions will help your money stretch just a bit further!

Use public transportation as often as you can

Getting taxis by yourself is one of the most money-draining travel activities. From my own experience, I don't think I've ever gotten a taxi in a foreign country and NOT gotten ripped off. It's a sad reality. Nowadays, I research the public transport system of the place I'm visiting before going (especially the route for getting from the airport to my accommodation). I know, it takes a lot more effort, but it turns out so much cheaper (usually around 10x!!).

annie-spratt-256172

Take advantage of the sharing economy

Book rooms through Airbnb and similar sites instead of opting for hotels. According to research by Schofields UK, 74% of UK-based solo travelers (1000 participants) chose Airbnb to avoid being charged extra fees, such as the single occupancy supplement.

Hostels are also popular with solo travelers (I know because I'm a huge hostel fan), and 29% of those surveyed said that they chose to stay at a hostel because it was the cheaper option.

So next time, when booking accommodation, take into account that there are other options besides hotels! I know that hostels used to have a reputation for being dingier and dirtier than hotels, but the recent increase in solo and budget travel has lead to a massive improvement in the quality of hostels. I myself have stayed in super cool ones (like the one I mention in my post about Barcelona)!

nik-lanus-41808

Travel off-peak

Both plane tickets and accommodation are likely to be cheaper during the off-season when kids are in school and when the weather isn't at its absolute best. I say absolute best because you can still find great places where it's warm, but not crazy hot.

Here's a handy overview with examples of off-peak travel destinations!

Find travel mates on the way

One of the perks of traveling by yourself is that you're likely to make new friends on the journey. Maybe it'll be the person sitting next to you on the plane, or your Airbnb neighbour? You'll gain a new travel buddy (they're likely to be from a different country, so you can go visit them on your next trip!), and someone to share costs with! Win-win:)

brooke-cagle-65600

Don't eat out at restaurants too often

I know, I should take my own advice, shouldn't I? 😛 But then, you wouldn't get all the yummy food reviews from all over the world on my blog! But seriously, though, I know how much money I spend on delicious restaurants abroad... This is an added advantage to renting an Airbnb, that it usually comes with a kitchen!

You could buy cheaper groceries from the supermarket and make your own lunches, then go out for dinners. Or, if you don't have a kitchen, you can make sandwiches for lunch. Either way, food is a way to save a lot of money when you're on holiday.

Find free activities

This also requires a bit more effort, but it's worth it! Nowadays, every city has free activities such as free walking tours and other entertainment. Don't fall for the tourist traps! This is especially true for solo travelers because groups can get group discounts that us lone travelers can't get, unfortunately.

Websites like TimeOut and Tripsavvy can help you find tons of free activities.

Anyhoo...

Solo travel is pretty great. If you don't believe me, take a look at the 5 best things about solo travel and be convinced!;)

Nevertheless, maybe it does require some more research and planning beforehand to avoid extra costs. But once you've got that sorted out, nothing will stand in the way of your lovely solo trip! Have fun:)

To find out more, check out this article as well.

Hope you enjoyed this post, if so, you know what to do!

How to save money when traveling solo
Helene is a lifestyle blogger whose goal is to inspire others to live their life to the fullest. She loves dancing, and she would love to see as much of the world as possible!

1. Noel
    September 18, 2017

I recently went on a solo trip and found it really liberating. No need to succomb to others wanting to go home or go elsewhere. The only downside is you pay the whole hotel (and taxi so you better train yourself walking multiple kilometers) fees alone. Which is not much if you would think about the places you could go to or not want to go to when you’re with someone else.

September 18, 2017

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! You’re very right about how we often don’t realise about these hidden solo costs:) Hope my post helps with that!

2. Ryan
    September 20, 2017

Great tips. Maybe one day I’ll actually have time to travel again!

September 20, 2017

Thank you! I hope you will too:)

3. Amber Myers
    September 20, 2017

These are great ideas. I always love to save money when I can. I’m all about the public transportation. And when I can, I travel during off peak times.

September 20, 2017

Thanks! Those are the best ways:) I try to do off-peak times but I don’t always succeed!

4. Rose
    September 20, 2017

I haven’t traveled by my self. Except to family out of state. My friend does it quite frequently. There’s definitely benefits to it. I could see saving a whole lot going by myself.

September 21, 2017

Oooh you should try it:) It’s a very different experience from traveling with others.

5. Courtney Andrews
    September 21, 2017

I don’t think I could travel alone but I can definitely use these tips next time I take a family trip! Not sure how they will react to the “don’t eat out at restaurants” tip though 😉

September 21, 2017

Haha that’s the one I have the most problems with!! It’s always tempting to try out all the best local food… Can’t help that we’re foodies at heart;)

6. Aine
    September 21, 2017

Haven’t traveled alone really, except for two long-haul flights which don’t count, but I’d love to get away next year so these tips are perfect

September 21, 2017

You’re in for a treat! Where were you thinking of going?

7. Adeyemisi
    September 21, 2017

These are helpful… Sure way to manage money. As much as I love to travel, am always respecting myself not to, when I think of the expenses

September 21, 2017

It does get quite expensive, and you end up with costs you didn’t foresee…But in my opinion, it’s all worth it in the end:)

8. Tiffany Haywood
    September 22, 2017

Free activities and off peak travel have become my top ways to save. I’ve actually never done an airbnb but have heard great things from friends.

September 22, 2017

I love airbnb it’s so practical:) I’ll have to start using them more as well. Free activities are awesome!

9. Kiwi
    September 22, 2017

I think traveling off peak is a really good idea. I know most people cant travel until the summer but if they can find other times to go to certain spots it will be way more affordable!

September 22, 2017

Definitely! I need to suss out a few off-peak spots for next year!

10. Christopher Mitchell
    September 22, 2017

Excellent post, but I would add that it’s not really about not eating at restaurants, but more about eating at cheap, local restaurants which are off the tourist map! Either way, plenty of food for thought here!

September 22, 2017

Great point! I should add that:) I pointed out the not eating out at restaurants part because it can be hard to find cheap, local restaurants if you don’t know anyone in that location:) Thanks for your valuable input!!

11. Tamanna
    September 22, 2017

This was really a good read. I never been to any solo trip. But I totally agree with the point of using public transport. It saves a lot of money as well as safe for roaming around in a new place.

September 22, 2017

Thank you! Would you try solo travel at some point???

12. Blair Villanueva
    September 23, 2017

Another tip: Having friends to the places you are about to visit helps! It could help to save you money in exchange of accommodation and food, and offer a services in return 🙂

September 23, 2017

True!!! I should have included that, but I guess I didn’t cos it’s not really something you can control:) thanks for that suggestion!!??